This Week in Worship
June 25, 2017 3rd Sunday After Pentecost
Jeremiah knew the frustration of having his words rejected. Jesus declares that his words may not bring peace, but division. In baptism we are buried with Christ that we may walk in newness of life. As we take stands for the sake of justice and lose our lives for the sake of others, we need not be afraid. The hairs of our head are counted. In baptism we are marked with the cross of Christ forever.
Prayer of the Day
God of strength and courage, in Jesus you set us free from sin and death, and call us to the risk of faith and service. Give us grace to follow him who gave himself for others, that, by our service, we may find the life he came to bring, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
- Genesis 21:8-21 The rescue of Hagar and Ishmael
- Psalm 86:1-10,16-17 Have mercy on me; give your strength to your servant. (Ps. 86:16)
- Romans 6:1b-11Buried and raised with Christ by baptism
- Matthew 10:24-39 The cost of discipleship
- “A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above the master; it is enough for the disciple to be like the teacher, and the slave like the master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household!
“So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops. Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows. “Everyone therefore who acknowledges me before others, I also will acknowledge before my
Father in heaven; but whoever denies me before others, I also will deny before my Father in heaven. “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household.
Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or
daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.”
- Worship Leaders
- Presiding Minister Pastor Steven Wilco
- Assisting Minister: Christa Keefe
- Organist: Matthew Cron
- Choir Director: Maki Matsui
- Readers: Karin Bucala, Roger Fontaine
- Communion Assistants: Roger Fontaine, Christa Keefe
- Ushers: Howard and Yvonne Nicholson
- Greeter: Chris Mattocks
- Altar Guild:Christa Keefe
- Coffee Hour Hosts: Dennis and Carol-Ann Walker
- Hymns and Music for Worship
- Processional Hymn: ELW #796 “How Firm a Foundation”
- Hymn of the Day: ELW #453 “Baptized and Set Free”
- Communion Hymn: ELW #666 “What wondrous Love is This”
- Sending Hymn: ELW#537 “On Our Way Rejoicing”
- Special Music: Deborah Gilwood, Matthew Cron
- Commemoration for the Week read more here
The Great Cloud of Witnesses: